SMB authentication

Subject: SMB authentication
From: Tim Jordan, Network Services (Timothy_Jordan@labor.state.ak.us)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 07:52:02 AKDT

My question pertains to my efforts to make browsing our Windows 2000
domain a little more seemless. My current setup looks like this:

* Mandrake 9.1 box
* Samba 2.2.8a
* Winbind Authenticating Login to our W2K PDC
* Sharing directories availible to Windows clients.
* Using Winmount for home directory on W2K server, LinNeighborhood to
  mount random shares availible through out our W2K domain.

So far everything is going very smooth. I understand more about PAM
after working the Winbind issues and now would like to tackle another
authentication issue.

SMB requires credintials for each share I would like to browse through
via Konquerer. I understand that Windows handles this with Kerberos,
sending the Shared folder the requesting clients ticket which contains
the username and password required.

Does SAMBA contain a solution for this authentication request? I read
that SAMBA 3.0 will contain Kerberos and Active Directory support;
although, it is still in the beta stages.