Re: encrypted messages

Subject: Re: encrypted messages
From: David J. Weller-Fahy (dave-lists-aklug@weller-fahy.com)
Date: Sat Jun 07 2003 - 10:33:07 AKDT

* Barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> [2003-06-07 09:03]:
> For someone interested in technology I thank you... however, for my
> Mom or other folks who just want to send e-mail... it seems like a
> pretty big hassle.

Actually, it's not that complicated for the user (unless you count
remembering your passphrase). I've used a similar system for years on
newsgroups, and (once I got keyboard shortcuts setup) haven't had a
problem.

The PGP Freeware is the way to go for windows, then you just type up the
message in your favorite client, if the client is OE or Outlook I
believe there's a plug-in that comes with PGP, and click one button on
the toolbar. If you're not using OE or Outlook then you type the
message, then hit one keyboard shortcut (configurable by the user) and
pgptray picks up that you want to encrypt and sign, asks your
passphrase, and encrypts/signs the message to the keys you choose.

Overall, once it's set up it's fairly easy.

Here's a place to get pgp freeware:

http://www.pgpi.org/products/pgp/versions/freeware/

Regards,

--
David J. Weller-Fahy        | 'These are the questions that kept me out
largely at innocent dot com |  of the really *good* schools.'