Re: any wardrivers on the list?

Subject: Re: any wardrivers on the list?
From: Wesley Brown (webtacsat@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 23:53:54 AKDT

I don't know if you knew Adam Elkins but he was a very good friend of mine and we did quite a bit a wardriving in Anchorage and Fort Richardson. I do believe I remember he told me he got about 50 or 60 AP's one day just driving from Ft. Richardson to Barnes and Nobel. There are about 13 or 14 on Ft. Richardson now. Mine was the only encrypted one about two months ago but because Adam and I raised awareness on the issue about three fourths are encrypted now. The last Adam and I went wardriving was when we drove from Fort Richardson to the Diamond area. My records show that I found 44 AP's and only 17 were encrypted. The most amazing thing is the number of people with unencrypted and default SSID's (which indicates they have default router passwords). We have even done some warchalking, very fun. I would say that this is my favorite hobby. There is no better way to get an idea of how secure (or insecure) the average network is... by far the best way to get experience in network security. I move to A
ugusta, GA in about a month and a half and I just hope that that area is half as rich in wireless as Anchorage. We really should document it and put it on the web because I think that the number of AP' s in this town is way above average.

Hey Scott if you ever go again let me know. I know we don't know each other but I never miss a chance to wardrive (I even have a couple of cantennas) and since Adam left I lost my shotgun. You can email me off the list if you want. What type of card do you use? What OS? What applications do you use for sniffing?

Wes

Scott Johnson <sjohnson@akghetto.com> wrote:
Just spent 45 minutes cruising a small part of Turnagain and picked up 19
AP's.... only 8 with WEP.

Any other experiences here in Anchorage?

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s

---------
To unsubscribe, send email to