Re: Samba Shares & Permissions

Subject: Re: Samba Shares & Permissions
From: Matthew Schumacher (schu@schu.net)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 06:59:12 AKDT

In order to effectively use samba you must understand share level
permissions and user level permissions.

Share level is when you put a password on a share, User level is where
you authenticate as a user that is granted or denied access to a share.

Windows 95/98/me all use share level permissions where NT/2000/XP use
user level permissions.

Because windows 98 will pass the currently logged in user/pass as the
network user/pass for authenticating against a share (but only prompt
for the password if the connection fails) I suspect that it is using a
guest account.

The fix is pretty simple, make sure you are logging onto your win98
machine with a user/pass that is valid on your samba server.

Hope that helps,

schu