Re: Questions

Subject: Re: Questions
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 12:05:19 AKDT

On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 11:17, Matthew Dunaway wrote:

> Hi all,
> I disappeared from the net for a while, but now I'm back.
> I just bought and installed Red Hat 9. I really like it a lot.
> However, I have the same dual-boot setup as before.Windows XP and Red
> Hat. My XP is the NTFS file system and so I can't play my music with
> XMMS cause I can't access XP. Is there a setting I can change or
> something so I can play my music without having to reboot into XP?

The only reliable way to access data on a NTFS partition from Linux is
though a network share. A dual boot system can't do this of course :)
The easiest way would be to create a partition formatted with fat32 to
share between Linux & XP. Both OS's can read/write to fat32.

You may be able to enable ntfs file system support in the kernel and
read the files on XP from Linux. The ntfs support in Linux is rumored to
sort of work for reads and ,if you care about your data, not reccomended
for writes.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.