Re: AKLUG list RE-registration ??

Subject: Re: AKLUG list RE-registration ??
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Sun May 04 2003 - 22:27:51 AKDT

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Stanley Long wrote:

> The last email from the list to this address was April 27.
>
> I had a couple CAD files come in, filled the ISP mailbox, and bounced a
> couple messages. Did the AKLUG list drop me?

Yup, the list is currently configured such that 5 permanent smtp errors
(ie, of the 5xx type), the list will unsubscribe you. Ditto for 15
transient smtp errors (of the 4xx type). The definition of 4xx and 5xx
smtp errors are left as a research exercise for the reader... ;-)

> Registration attempt seems not to work: uaa system seems to think it
> already sent me a validation password....
>
> Advice or instructions to get back onboard?

One thing to point out is that the validation system is time dependant.
For example, if you're not subscribed and you try to authenticate using
your email address and a blank password, the link in the email you receive
is only good for a few hours. This can be troublesome, especially coupled
with different web browsers' refresh behavior.

If you have trouble with the web interface for the list, I always
recommend the email interface. Just send email to
<aklug-request@aklug.org> with a blank subject, and only the word
"subscribe" (minus the quotes) in the body. Follow the directions in the
reply, and you're good to go!

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax