Re: listserv

Subject: Re: listserv
From: Andy Firman (lug@firman.us)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 15:01:44 AKDT

On Thursday 01 May 2003 02:21 pm, Chris Hamilton wrote:
> Hi all, I'm looking for some basic quotes for listserv services -
> moderate to light traffic for 200-300 users.
>
> I'm with a State agency that is looking to procure these services. No
> need to try and talk me in to setting up my own for this. I've been down
> that road, this agency is not interested in running a server. Just
> looking to see what might be available locally, and what people are
> charging. Reliability is important.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chris.

I looked into this about 4 months ago and did not find anything locally.
Did not look too hard though.
This is one of the bigger ones that I loooked at (they are in CA):

http://www.sparklist.com/about/index.html

I think it was about $100 per month with some setup fees for a normal list.
We ended up doing it in house with Debian running Mailman doing a
newsletter broadcast list to about 9,000 subscribers.
And a small discussion list for the Board of Directors with more lists coming.
Client is extrememely happy with the setup. And they own the box.
Now it is also acting as a Samba file server and they got a good return on
their investment and they are excited about having Linux as well !!!

--

Thanks,

Andy Firman CompTIA Network+, A+, & Linux+ Certified http://www.firmanconsulting.com/