Re: client side smb

Subject: Re: client side smb
From: Andy Firman (lug@firman.us)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 12:09:33 AKDT

> I have had a system running 2.4.18 rh8 hang a couple of times recently.
> Still pingable but will not allow logins using ssh and console will not
> respond to mouse or keyboard.
>
> last thing to /var/log/messages is
>
> May 1 09:45:00 kuskokwim kernel: smb_trans2_request: result=-104, setting
> invalid
> May 1 09:45:01 kuskokwim kernel: smb_retry: successful, new pid=9193,
> generation=2

That sounds very similar to what I just went through on a Redhat server.
It would do the same thing under large data transfers.
Turns out my clients' Netgear switch had failing ports.
We got a new switch and problems are gone.
I would recommend investigating the hardware first.

--

Thanks,

Andy Firman CompTIA Network+, A+, & Linux+ Certified http://www.firmanconsulting.com/