Re: failover ethernet

Subject: Re: failover ethernet
From: Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@woods.net)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 15:23:29 AKDT

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 amv@akvalentine.com wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I am installing a new Linux server that has dual ethernet, one Gigabit NIC
> and one 10/100 NIC.
>
> I currently have it setup using the Gigabit NIC, but I would like to plug
> the 10/100 NIC into a separate switch, then fail over to it if the Gigbit
> NIC, or the switch it's plugged into, fails.
>
> I've done the requisite google search, and I found this (
> http://ps-ax.com/failoverd/ ) project, but before I implement it, I would
> like to know if anyone has used it, or has any other ideas, commments,
> pointers, flames, etc.
>
> Thanks!

The type of failover system you use depends entirely on what you are
wanting to failover for.

Service takeover within a cluster would be something for heartbeat or
similar from the Linux-HA folks, multiple network paths is (usually)
handled by routing protocols, except in the case of an
EtherChannel/Bonding pairing (but this only handles card/link failure
not switch or downstream issues).

--
I route, therefore you are.