Re: samba/tar backing up Windows data

Subject: Re: samba/tar backing up Windows data
From: Andy (lug@firman.us)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 23:13:48 AKDT

> Two things might work (untested)...
>
> First, you might want to try the '--newer-mtime DATE' option (only store
> files whose contents have changed after DATE). Do the full backup, then
> each night after that do anything that's changed after the day before.
>
> Another (might be a little more efficient) would be to use the '-d,
> --diff, --compare' option (find differences between archive and file
> system). That would require you to keep archives intact, instead of
> piping then extracting them (which, in itself, might make restoring
> easier). Just use the output of diff to create a list of the files to
> backup.
>
> Should work, but I haven't implemented anything like that, yet.

Thanks for the advice. I found the rsync problem with Samba so I am going
to try rsync again. I think it will work. Here is the url that explains it:
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

And the description:
Windows-related problems (new!)
I have recently received a few reports of what appear to be interaction issues
between Windows and rsync.
One report came from a user who mounts a windows share via Samba, much as I
do, and had files mysteriously being deleted from the backup even when they
weren't deleted from the source. Tim Burt also used this technique, and was
seeing files copied even when they hadn't changed. He determined that the
problem was modification time precision; adding --modify-window=10 caused
rsync to behave correctly in both cases. If you are rsync'ing from a SAMBA
share, you must add --modify-window=10 or you may get inconsistent results.