Re: How many MB on a cd-r

Subject: Re: How many MB on a cd-r
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 08:46:17 AKDT

On 14 Apr 2003, Greg Madden wrote:

> My research indicates you should be able to get 700mb on a 80 min cd-r.
> I was wondering if anyone has a real world tip on the maximum amount
> they have gotten to successfully burn and what media or burner was used.
> I have well over 700 mb of data and need to trim some but would like to
> keep as much as possible.

Greg,

If you have a modern burner, you should be able to record up to the
capacity of the disk. For older burners (anything that burns a CD-R at 8x
or slower), you need to make sure that the burner supports "overburning" a
disk. If you can't find specific documentation, the best way to try it is
to make a 700MB iso, and then attempt to burn it.

Some older burners just don't grok putting more that 650MB on a CD.

Cheers,

James