Re: RH9 / glibc update

Subject: Re: RH9 / glibc update
From: volz (volz@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 08:54:52 AKDT

Rob:

 Have you gotten any resolution on your glibc update? Did you do the telinit 1
to restart all programs? Redhat has this in their updated errata:

https://rhn.redhat.com/network/errata/errata_details.pxt?eid=1543

 [Updated 9 April 2003]
Some bugs newly introduced by the Red Hat Linux 8.0 errata packages
has been discovered, such as wine problems or problems with debugging
threaded applications.

Once the glibc upgrade has been completed, you must either reboot the
system or restart all programs on the system (for example, by using telinit
1 and switching back to the old runlevel). Rebooting the system or
restarting the system programs is necessary to avoid vulnerable glibc
copies in memory and because changes in NSS internal interfaces which mean
that one cannot mix old NSS modules or libresolv in an application with
upgraded NSS modules or libresolv in one running application.

If sshd is running so that the other services can be restarted remotely or
for a remote reboot during an unattended glibc upgrade, glibc will also
restart sshd.

 I realize it doesn't specifically mention RH9.

 The reason I ask is I don't want to hose my system if Redhat hasn't got this
patch worked out.

 - Karl Volz

Research Associate
Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility