Re: up2date has hijacked my server

Subject: Re: up2date has hijacked my server
gaijin@gci.net
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 17:23:49 AKDT

Try specifying kill -15 <pid>, or kill -9 <pid>.

Think of it like this:

kill <pid> Pretty please, go away?

kill -15 <pid> Go Away and Take Your Mess With You!

kill -9 <pid> *BLAM* Now I must clean up the mess

The first two give the process the opportunity to perform
a proper closure.

The last will kill it without properly closing files, freeing
memory, etc.