Re: madpenguin

Subject: Re: madpenguin
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 12:32:59 AKST

On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 08:30, W.D.McKinney wrote:

> OK, here we go with another Linux distro review. Having a nice workstation myself
> and some good experience with SuSE, this one is a refreshing piece. Good
> screenshots also.
>
> See http://www.madpenguin.org/article.php?sid=126&mode=thread&order=0
>
> The author unabashedly is a Slackware guy which makes him a good candidate for
> this review in my book.
>
> W.D.McKinney (Dee)
> deem@wdm.com

I read an interesting observation concerning the web pundits and how
they review GNU/Linux. Read a review and you will notice that they focus
mostly on installing Linux.Very little on what programs are included and
what they can do for a user or a business. It seems to me that focusing
on installs and not on function perpetuates the retail sales mentality
most distro vendors have. This does nothing to promote Linux as a
serious desktop or server platform. What business wants to upgrade,
ever? The Linux community needs get 'past' the 'install game' and onto
promoting applications to do the tasks that business users need.

My $.02

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.