Re: CUPS on Debian Woody

Subject: Re: CUPS on Debian Woody
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 20:57:50 AKST

Greetings Damien;

First: get rid of all the old print stuff: daemons, utilities,
printcap, etc. etc.... (including CUPS).

I am not familliar with installing CUPS from source. The Debian
(dselect) install includes print utilities that look and act like
the old SVR4 "lp" and friends as well as the BSD "lpr" and friends.
I assume a source install will have all these goodies also. The
reason is so the sysadmin doesn't have to change all the scripts,
applications, and cli habits to some new way of calling the print
server system. However, if the oldies are lurking about, the outcome
is undefined.

Second: do a clean re-install of CUPS. I used the cli to find out if
CUPS was installed properly and the daemon was running. I think one
may go directly to the browser/httpd interface to do the same, but I
am probably more paranoid than you youngsters.

Third: set up a printer class. The instructions claim one may just
set up a printer without first setting up a class. The recent code
seems to be much more stable and bug free than a year or so ago.
However, I make it a point to set up a class first. I am sure I am
more paranoid than you youngsters.

Fourth: set up the printer within the class. You may have to search
for the proper driver (PPD) for the brand and model of printer. You
can start at http://www.cups.org/ but sooner or later you will
probably end up at http://www.linuxprinting.org/ Note that this last
URL covers all kinds of print thingys for Linux.

I assume you have GhostScript and friends installed. You may find
some information on the Epson site.

Caveat: Windows printers drivers are still scarce as hen's teeth.

Cheerio! fgd.

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 00:59:23
"dhull" <dhull@digitaloverload.net> wrote:

> I installed cups from source but it's not working. I've tried
> installing cups before but never had any luck.
>
> Printer: Epson Stylus Color
>
> Here's what I did
> 1. Installed cups from source
> 2. started cupsd
> 3. Went to the web interface and added Epson Stylus color
> 4. Tryed to print a test page
>
> Here's what I got
> 1. NOTHING!
> 2. The print job was cancled as soon as I tried to print it
>
> Can someone tell me how to gett it working?

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.