Re: mtu settings

Subject: Re: mtu settings
From: Lauren Horn (aklug@horns.org)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 11:52:36 AKST

Jim Gribbin wrote:
> I have run into an issue with a dlink 614+ router where the the mfg has
> suggested lowering the mtu value to 1452. I was wondering if anyone has
> done any research or knows offhand what the optimal mtu values are for
> our local ISPs?

Short answer: I haven't.

But the first thing that occurs to me is that D-Link might be trying to
keep their support costs down by recommending an MTU size that will work
acceptably on a standard Internet connection, such as that offered by
GCI cable modems, and won't cause severe problems (and give rise to tech
support calls) on a PPOE connection such as those you find on ACS DSL.

If connection quality is not a problem, my understanding is that the
optimal MTU value is the largest you can get without causing packet
fragmentation.

I'm sure there are other technical considerations for special
circumstances, but for most real-world situations (and for every one
I've encountered), that's it.

-Lauren