Problems Installing a Epson 1200U scanner

Subject: Problems Installing a Epson 1200U scanner
From: Guillermo A. Martinez (asgam1@gci.net)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 17:35:12 AKST

Hello,

Newbie question re: installation of a usb scanner:

I have not been able to get my scanner to work on my 'puter running RH 8.0.
When I run xsane, I get a "no device available" error message.

The following is some of the info. I generated as I attempted to get my
scanner to work:

[root@localhost root]# lsmod | grep scanner
scanner 10420 0 (unused)
usbcore 77056 1 [printer usbnet scanner audio hid usb-uhci
usb-ohci]
[root@localhost root]# modprobe scanner
[root@localhost root]# modprobe usb-ohci
[root@localhost root]# mount /proc/bus/usb
mount: usbdevfs already mounted or /proc/bus/usb busy
mount: according to mtab, usbdevfs is already mounted on /proc/bus/usb

[root@localhost root]# sane-find-scanner
# Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
# to a SCSI bus and some scanners that are connected to the Universal
# Serial Bus (USB) depending on your OS. It will even find scanners
# that are not supported at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that
# is connected to a parallel or proprietary port.

sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x04b8, product = 0x0104) at
device /dev/usb/scanner0

Please note that I do have a four port usb card installed in one of the PCI
slots.