RE: inserting image to Mysql

Subject: RE: inserting image to Mysql
From: Hassler, Jeff (Jeff.Hassler@asc.asrc.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 10:01:53 AKST

I don't know about MySql, however, for Oracle databases, rather than put
large objects into the database, just store a pointer (file path) to the
object in the filesystem in the database. The downside is that any
applications must be able to take the pointer and then get the object.

By putting pointers in the database, you do not spend a lot of time
backing up the large binary objects that probably seldom change. The
binary objects can then be backed up incrementally in the filesystem.
Database performance should be better, also.