Re: IDE raid 1

Subject: Re: IDE raid 1
From: Joshua J.Kugler (isd@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 11:04:43 AKST

On Saturday 15 March 2003 12:42, Christopher E. Brown wrote:
> Also, most motherboard ATA RAID *cannot* be run as non RAID (the
> stupid RAID bios insists on setting up ATA raid tables on the drive),
> and many ATA raid cards are like this as well.

On the other hand, there are several that can be run non-RAID. Which is
REALLY nice since you now have two more IDE channels. Check the specs for
the motherboard. Also, AFAIK, RAID add-in cards can be used in "normal
mode." But as you may have gathered from our discussion, you might just be
better off buying an IDE add-in card.

--
Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks