Re: HELP! RESCUE NEEDED

Subject: Re: HELP! RESCUE NEEDED
eclectric@ftml.net
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 15:58:26 AKST

This probablly won't hit the aklug list, since the smtp server used by
this webmail client seems to be black-listed, but this should let you do
so:

start booting the system. when it gets to the point where you can pick
your kernel, you need to add the following option to the kernel line:
 init=/bin/bash

this should drop you to a root shell as soon as the _kernel_ finishes
initializing... this means that init does NOT run at all though, so your
root file system will (should?) be mounted read-only.. to fix this run:
  mount / -o rw,remount
then edit your fstab, and then remount the filesystem read only (because
it will NOT be cleanly unmounted) by running:
  mount / -o ro,remount

then give her the ole three finger salute, and she should be good to go.

James Gibson

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:49:04 -0900, "Tim Jordan, DOL&WD Network Services"
<Timothy_Jordan@labor.state.ak.us> said:

> I screwed up my /etc/fstab file. Now when my RH8.0 system boots it
> stalls out with:
>
> smbfs: Unrecognized mount option noexec
>
> Is there a way I can edit the /etc/fstab file to correct my error so my
> box will boot?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Tim

                          unladen european swallow