RE: software RAID vs hardware RAID

Subject: RE: software RAID vs hardware RAID
From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 13:45:44 AKST

Joshua J.Kugler responded to:
> On Friday 14 March 2003 12:22, Damien Hull wrote:
>> As for /root needing to be on the array, yes. It needs to be on the
>> array because you need to be able to boot off of it.
>>
>> If /root or /boot, depending on how you set it up, isn't on
>> the array and one drive fails then you loose your kernel. No
>> kernel means no more system.
>
> OK...I'm going to try to tread carefully, because I may not
> know what I'm talking about. Your RAID array does not need to
> include your root partition.
> You can boot off a system drive, and then mount your RAID
> array as you're going through the boot process.

This is true.. And in fact is what I do:

/dev/hda 80G Maxtor
/dev/hda1 256Mb /
/dev/hda2 1G swap
/dev/hda3 <rest> /md0

/dev/hdb 80G Maxtor
/dev/hdb1 256Mb /
/dev/hdb2 1G swap
/dev/hdb3 <rest> /md0

/dev/md0 is a mirror of /dev/hda3 and /dev/hdb3, which is
my /usr partition.

I use rsync to sync /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdb1 changes.

Updating lilo is a little trickier -- I update the boot block on
/dev/hda, then
shutdown, remove hda from the system and boot into single-user on
/dev/hdb
(which is now /dev/hda) and re-run lilo. Since i don't update lilo on a
frequent
basis, this isn't such the pain..

Then reboot and restore my original physical configuration. This way if
either
drive fails, i can still boot into my system with a failed drive.

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s