Re: IDE raid 1

Subject: Re: IDE raid 1
From: Joshua J.Kugler (isd@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 11:23:53 AKST

Actually, if you are simply going to be mirroring, there is no reason not to
do software RAID in the Linux kernel. Setup is really easy, and it would be
just as fast, as the Promise cards don't do hardware RAID anyway, but use
drivers to do software RAID. There would be very, very little, if not no,
speed penalty for doing software RAID. RAID 5 is another story, however,
since that involves a lot of calculation.

Hope that helps.

--
Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks