Re: OT: routers

Subject: Re: OT: routers
From: Jim Dory (jdory@gci.net)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 21:32:49 AKST

Mike Tibor wrote:

>With so few users and the comparatively large number of separate sites
>you'll have, you'll be spending a small fortune on Cisco gear. My
>suggestion would be that you consider deploying Linux based routers.

Hey, this is an exciting possibility. I haven't researched it so any
suggestions by anyone would be welcome. I guess you use ram for
configuring. Put a couple nics in... I've seen previous posts about
using linux routers.. have to look back in the archives.

I'm not sure that any successor to me would be any more likely to be
able to configure Cisco routers than linux routers, since we don't have
an official IT position. They would probably outsource.

One question would be what kind of x86 computer gear would be necessary
for a decent router. We have a few pretty old machines around - but what
would be a good thing should we have to buy? I've also built a few
computers if that were an option.

You want cdr distros so you don't have hard drives failing? Everything
pretty much gets loaded into memory?

Thanks a bunch. Curious how others feel about this solution.

Thanks a bunch, JD