Re: Virtual Host Problem

Subject: Re: Virtual Host Problem
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 16:43:05 AKST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil Moomey" <neilmoomey@gci.net>
To: <aklug@aklug.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 7:59 PM
Subject: Virtual Host Problem

> I have RH 7.3 with Apache and one IP address. I have several virtual
> hosts and one default host. Most of the time it works ok but about 30%
> of the time the virtual host will redirect to the default host and go to
> the wrong website. I've seen it happen with Netscape, Galeon, and IE.
> What's causing this and how can I fix it? Thanks.
>
> Neil

Since you only have one IP, I'm assuming you are using name based virtual
hosts.

If you have a name based virtual host, and a request comes in for the IP
address, Apache will serve up the default host. So it could be a DNS issue.
(Using the hosts file doesn't always work.)

If you have the time & IP address of a browser that got the wrong site, you
can look through the logs and see exactly what it asked for, to compare with
what it got.

Other things to look for are whether or not the errors are clustered to a
certain network or address space that might have a problem - again, perhaps
DNS.

Cheers,

James