Re: default route

Subject: Re: default route
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 14:45:27 AKST

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Peter Q. Olsson wrote:

> Hello all-
>
> I have a rather naive question regarding routing.
>
> My home network is connected by ethernet. I occasionally connect to the outer
> world via kppp, over the phone using UAA as my ISP. Currently, I have to bring
> my ethernet interface down so that traffic goes through the ppp interface. Is
> there some simple way that I can have both the ppp and ethernet interfaces both
> up at the same time, so that, for example I can print a web page on my network
> printer while browsing via the ppp interface. I am sure this is not rocket
> science...
>
> I should also note that after I no longer have a ppp connection and do an
> i"fconfig eth1 up", I still cannot see my local network (again). I have to
> restart th3e network (via init.d script) to get my local connectivity back.

I'm not sure why you're doing what you are. If you only have one local subnet
for the home network, you should only have a route to that network (not
0.0.0.0). When you're resolving local hosts it should still see the LAN as
the lowest cost route and go to it directly, while internet addresses would go
over the ppp connection. Having to drop the local interface just to browse
the internet is bizarre.

If I had to hazard a guess, your problem is likely not routing, but DNS. Are
you running a DNS server for the LAN on another box? If so, the ppp
connection is probably rewriting your /etc/resolv.conf, making your LAN
addresses unresolvable. Ideally, you'd want your DNS settings to remain on
the LAN server and have it act as a caching server for internet addresses.
This would require setting up your ppp box as a PNAT box, though, for the DNS
server.

Can you verify any of this?

        --Arthur Corliss