Re: RedHat 8.0 help

Subject: Re: RedHat 8.0 help
bryan@ak.net
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 12:52:50 AKST

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:55:06AM -0900, dan-wolf@gci.net <dan-wolf@gci.net> wrote:

> 1) when logged in with my user account I can NOT run either the
> 'ifconfig' nor 'route' commands in a terminal, even if I have su'd
> to root. However if I log in as root they run fine.

The issue is your PATH (the list of directories that are searched
for executable programs). System commands such as ifconfig are
usually stored in /sbin, or maybe /usr/sbin. These are not in the
default PATH for regular users. Simply typing /sbin/ifconfig will
run the program for you. If you want to, you can add that directory
to your PATH.

When you su to root, your environment variables (including PATH) get
copied over, so /sbin still won't be there. However, if you use
'su -', this will start a login shell for root, which means clean
and new environment variables, including PATH, which will include
/sbin.

> 2) I purchased a copy of Redhat Linux Firewalls yesterday an B & N
> .... excellent IMHO it mentions the 'iptraf' command yet I am unable
> to run or even find it. Does anyone know if it was simply not included
> or ????

This is probably the same issue as above.
In order to find an executable program, type 'whereis iptraf'.
To find any file on your system, type 'locate iptraf'.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net