Re: sun-cobalt and other Linux appliance servers

Subject: Re: sun-cobalt and other Linux appliance servers
From: James Dory (jdory@gci.net)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 13:34:45 AKST

Tom Bunger wrote:

>I have a client who has been happily using a cobalt qube to serve up email
>for about 20-30 people. He is very happy with the way it has performed
>(pretty much "set it and forget it") for the past 4 or 5 years. He wants to
>upgrade to another qube, but judging from the sun micro site, the latest
>greatest qube is the qube3, which came out 2 years ago. Now it looks like
>they are pushing a 1U intel box that runs "Sun Linux 5.0".
>
>My question: Has anyone had good experiences with a Linux appliance that
>will allow the client to web-manage, do firewalling, and have webmail? I
>realize I could "roll my own" with webmin, squirrel-mail, sendmail, qpopper,
>etc. but I am more interested in an "out-of-the-box" solution like the qube
>since that has worked well for him. Any thoughts on the Sun products?
>others?

I'll try it again. First attempt I left some smiley faces in the text I
had cut and pasted. That killed the message. Figured it may spur some
discussion of these options so I can get educated.. I'm in the market
myself for more servers for my project.

Hey Tom,

Since folks on the cobalt list are a bit miffed at Sun support, here's
what's afoot:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qbalt

Then there was more discussion:

The Cobalt UI is only available on Cobalt appliances.

Alternatives for "general purpose" servers include Webmin (free), Plesk
(pay), Ensim (pay), CPanel (free).

What about the backup stuff do you need a UI for (i.e., do you have
specific functionality that you require?) How will the backup server be
used? That kind of info will help steer you toward or away from certain
products.

- -- URL = http://www.xoasisnetworks.com/

> > They seem to have a pretty compelling and competing product to the Raq

>> > servers if the information provided is accurate.
>

> > It's a pretty box. The company might do well to add some > online

product > demos so one can get a feel for the interface hands on. I >
have a feeling > that if they're relying on screenshots and vague
descriptions >to sell those > machines, they're going to be disappointed
with their sales. > Tell you what, I bet you'd find out that they've
been lurking on the cobalt lists for a long time. They seem to be trying
to address some of the issues that we fight with every day. --

Very competitive pricing to a mid to high end Raq550..

Biggest difference is contents of the product (server components) and
custom
configuration vs. buying only set configurations from Sun. To some
degree a
person can't help but feel Sun and others are missing the boat on a number
of issues.. customer or barebone systems for one.

FYI - I get the impression that IBM & HP have or are in negotiations for
OEM
versions of the OS to be installed on some of their boxes to compete with
Sun-Cobalt

The unit I decided to order has:
2.4Ghz CPU --- 3GHz is available but to costly currently.. $600+
512MB RAM --- Expandable
2-60GB 7200 ATA133 Drives Much larger is available this was our choice.
1-Slim CD-Rom
Hardware RAID 4-Year Spare-In-The-Air 24x7 support
Price.. about $2500.00

two articles of interest:

Xoasis, A Refuge From The Sun

http://www.isp-planet.com/equipment/2002/xoasis.html