Re: ssh -X versus VNC

Subject: Re: ssh -X versus VNC
From: shortpier (shortpier@shortpier.is-a-geek.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 13:22:56 AKST

Remote x is very easy

X :1 -query xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <ip addy> If you have XDM (or its kids,
KDM, GDM etc) setup for remote This lets you have a local session on
vc7 and remote on vc8

xhost +<IP or hostname>

to authorize the remote to connect to a current session

telnet in x to remote host on start the Xproggy If it does not get the
right host use this bash command...

export DISPLAY=3Dhost:display

ie export DISPLAY=3D192.168.1.1:0=20

then run the x proggy.

On a switched full duplex 100mbts lan I can play Armagetron with full
opngl support, vmware, wine etc .

If you are useing kdm as the gui login manager look for the kdmrc on
your box and authorize remote IE XDMCP

Hope this helps

Shortpier

10 mins, Bill Gates, and a baseball bat. Is this to much to ask God?=20