Re: RedHat8

Subject: Re: RedHat8
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 23:52:51 AKST

More ram, more ram, and more ram.

I have a PII 300 Thinkpad, and upgrading from 64 to 80 MB (I came across
a 16 meg stick laying around) really helped. Gave me a little bit more
of a buffer before it starts hitting the swap. I don't really hit the
swap file unless I try to run KDE or a few java apps simultaneously.
This is with RedHat 7.3 running WindowMaker or Blackbox.

Also, disabling some of the cleanup cron jobs helps. Since I don't leave
my laptop running, everytime I turned on my laptop, anacron started up
about 15 minutes of hd crunching updating this and that and the other.

It's been a while so I don't remember exactly what I disabled, but the
only side effect I've seen so far is that the database that the 'locate'
command uses doesn't get updated. Not too big a deal. If you just
comment stuff out you can always enable it if you experience trouble.

Justin