Re: Wireless

Subject: Re: Wireless
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 11:26:35 AKST

Greetings Adam and everybody,

I, too, have a Linksys WPC11 v3 pcmcia card for my Sony VAIO laptop.
I, too, had heard that the orinoco module would work. However, not
true! Apparently the previous hardware versions (<= 2.5) of the
WPC11 used the same tranceiver chip as the Orinoco pcmcia card. The
chip in the WPC11 _V3_ is different and cannot use the Orinoco
driver.

I wrestled with the problem last year without success. I tried
compiling for the 2.2.x kernel on my laptop. Aside from the problem
of limited hard disk space, I could not figure out how to get the
source to compile.

There are open source people working on the module, and Linksys at
http://www.linksys.com, select "support" and then "downloads". Or
you can go directly to http://www.linksys.com/download/ where you
then select the product and operating system using two pull down
boxes. Find, "WPC11 - Instant Wireless Network Adapter - Version
3.0" as the product, and select "other" for the operating system.
When you get the resulting screen select "driver". On the next
screen, scroll, if needed, to the bottom where you will see "Linux
Driver". All the other links pertain to Windows in their various
flavors.

This tar.gz file is the same one I downloaded last year. I want to
upgrade my laptop to the 2.4.x kernel, then, I plan to try again.
Visit http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/ and root around to find
the latest regarding available modules, drivers, etc.

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 16:45:59 -0900
Adam Elkins <i-robot@gci.net> wrote:

> I'm new to the wireless thing...And I just spent a bunch of
> money....
>
> I have a Linksys WPC11 ver.3 pcmcia card.
>
> I found on the net to use the orinoco_cs module. so I loaded it.
> When I do an 'ifconfig -a' shouldn't I see a Wlan0 or something?
> I get his:
>
> tun10 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
>
> Whats that?
>
> What an\m I missing?
>
> Adam

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.