Re: some new email virus? (My pitch)

Subject: Re: some new email virus? (My pitch)
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 13:45:34 AKST

Thank you both for your comments. I plan to be at the AKLUG Friday
Night Laboratory Session with a box that I can set up as an e-mail
server with qmail and friends.

This problem of spam is a community problem. It is well past the
time for the backbone providers down to the local ISP to apply
technology to prevent abuse of the "Information Highway". It is also
well past the time for members of the community to cease pointing
fingers and cooperate in the solution. Surely aklug'ers want and can
be part of the solution. Remember, there are no "by-standers" at a
riot. fgd.

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 12:51:05 -0900
deem@wdm.com wrote:

> Our servers are filtered for spam and virus, we have a package for
> companies and individuals that includes this, web mail and SSL
> wrapped POP and webmail :-) You manage via a web page your
> domain's e-mail & mail lists.

SNIP!

> > The other side of the coin... do you want a third party between
> > you and your email? I think GCI has filters for email accounts
> > on their servers that the client can configure. I don't use ACS
> > for incoming so I don't know about their filtering options.
> >

> > Do you really want a third party to decide what content is okay
> > and what is not :)
> > --
> > Greg Madden
> > Precision Air Balance, Inc.
> > Phone: 907-276-0461
> > email: pabi@gci.net
SNIP!

--
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska