Re: Linux on a PDA ?..

Subject: Re: Linux on a PDA ?..
From: Adam Elkins (i-robot@gci.net)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 17:10:03 AKST

There aren't to many native linux pdas out there.
I'm currently running Linux (Familiar 6.0) on my iPaq 3650, it works great.
The only thing I can say negative about it is software support. However, most
of my needs/wants have been met. Runnig Linux on the iPaq has it's advantages
as well....Better batter life, seems to run faster, and of course, it's free.
I've also ran Linux on my PalmV. This is NOT (NOT) and impressive thing. The
Palm devices alone just don't have what it takes to run anything. (Unless all
you need is commandline, with nothing more than a tty/sync)
Installation was esay on both platforms. (Took a bit of soldiering on the
ipaq, due to my lack of a serial cable)
Linux will run on any iPaq 36xx - 38xx/ No support for the 39xx or 54xx(HP),
but like everything else, it's a work in progress.

My recommendation, buy a Zaurus, or an iPaq. The Agenda is dead, but can still
be found on ebay fairly cheap. Other alternatives can be seen here (Including
some oddballs)
http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8728350077.html

One more note Blair, you can run linux on your IIIe, as long as it has a
flashable ROM. LinuxDA will do it (They offer a demo, but;s it's NASTY)
http://www.linuxda.com/ The full install isn't that bad, but your better off
paying 100 bucks for an ipaq, and getting speed/functionality.
One last thing, if you Really want to, you can get Intimate linux
(http://intimate.handhelds.org/), which is a FULL debian port to the ipaq.

Links:
http://www.handhelds.org
http://killefiz.de/zaurus/ <~~ Software