Linux on a PDA ?..

Subject: Linux on a PDA ?..
From: blair parker (cmjvpp@corecom.net)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 13:51:44 AKST

Hello all.

I want to experiment with Linux on a PDA, and I am wondering if any local folks out there have an opinion or any bits of wisdom they would like to share with me.

I am looking for a very small, lightweight, mobile platform (like a palm pilot or a calculator) that I can use for field computations. I have written some applications that do the things I need to have done (like geodetic coordinate geometry) and I would really like to develop on a linux platform versus say PalmOS or Windoze.

I currently own a Palm IIIe, but I am not opposed to buying something newer (like a newer Palm or an iPAQ).

Which platform is 'better' (and why), Palm, iPAQ, or something else ?..

How much effort does (did ?) it take to get Linux loaded up and running ?..

I have already looked at 'handhelds.org' and 'palm-linux.sourceforge.net', but I was hoping to get some local viewpoints.

Thanks in advance.

Blair Parker