Re: ms access,openoffice and mysql

Subject: Re: ms access,openoffice and mysql
From: Tim Johnson (tim@johnsons-web.com)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 08:51:49 AKST

* Arthur Corliss <arthur@corlissfamily.org> [030203 08:37]:
> On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Mehran wrote:
>

> > Tim;
> > I am still working on it. I've saved Excel file as
> > .cvs and import them to a text editor, it works , but
> > its very time consuming.
>
> Wouldn't it be simpler to use a Perl script with a DBI and a module like
> Text::CSV? Load the CSV file and use a prepared paramterised query to push
> each record into the target DB.

  I have not used that method. I have used ODBC with both python and perl.
  Coding in either is preferable to me than VBA.
  (And I've had clients tinker with the ODBC aliases and break them)

  To tell the truth I'm not familiar with CSV modules in either language, nor
  am I informed as to the issues between CSV and mysql (if any).

  The VBA module method is faster, I think (I have clients with over
  200,000 records to export). And it has the advantage of not having
  to tinker with installing a base language system plus auxiliary modules.

  I look forward to working with a DB system that works with MySQL and
  allows modules of the language of your choice. (my preference is rebol's
  socket connection to MySQL)

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
      http://www.johnsons-web.com