Re: ms access,openoffice and mysql

Subject: Re: ms access,openoffice and mysql
From: Tim Johnson (tim@johnsons-web.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 07:57:15 AKST

Hello Mehran:
* Mehran <cf680@yahoo.com> [030131 04:15]:

> Hi;
> I have bunch of files in ms access format.

  They would have an extension of .mdb

> I would like to be able to open them with open office (no such
> luck yet). Although open office gives me the option of
> choosing a file format I haven't been able to open any
> .xls files yet. But the major goal is to convert all
> my .xls files to mysql.

 But you're saying that your files have .xls extensions?
 Have you exported the access tables as spreadsheets?

> I saved few .xls files as
> text(delimited)files to import to mysql, but dosen't
> work very good. Any help is appreciated

  The problem with a simple text export is that
  some characters need to be 'escaped' and also
  ms-access is know to play fast and loose with
  foreign characters.

  1)I don't know, but if your version of Access will
    export to dbase format, that might be readable
    from open office

  2)There are numerous hacks available (I believe that
    there about 146000 hits in google for ms-access to mysql)
    some are probably referred to at mysql.com

  3)I have client-specific modules that I can give you.
    Let me know if you're interested. It might take
    a little hacking, but we could try it.

  Best Regards
  (NOTE: if you email me back, may be gone most of
   today.)

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
      http://www.johnsons-web.com