Re: Using Konqueror to access Windoze fileserver

Subject: Re: Using Konqueror to access Windoze fileserver
From: Shortpier (shortpier@shortpier.is-a-geek.com)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 08:18:44 AKST

Brad Bice wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>I am trying to access our windoze 2000 file server from my redhat 8
>pc. I am using Konquerer. I enter smb://fenris/it
>It prompts me for my login and password, which I provide. I won't take
>my password. I tried prefacing my login name with our domain name,
>but that hasn't worked either. I have tried alaskapacific:rbb,
>alaskapacific/rbb alaskapacific\rbb. Nothing has worked. Under System
>Setting/Authentication I found where you can configure smb. I have
>Enabled SMB Support and entered my workgroup. This hasn't helped
>either.
>
>Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Brad Bice
>Systems Administrator
>Alaska Pacific University
>rbb@alaskapacific.edu
>

>---------

SMB uses the smb.conf files to establish connections even when you are
browsing. You need to make sure that encrypted passwords =yes for it to
comunicate (unless you have hacked the registry on 2k to have
unencrypted password) another thing you can do is use the
 password=server part and enter your winblows box as the user and
password server.

SMB and NMB need to be running on the linux box and the SMB ports need
to be open in the firewall rules (just makeing sure) also if it
located through a router you need to have the gateway ip for that SMB
network (SMB is non-routing)

Shortpier

10 mins, Bill Gates, and a baseball bat. Is this to much to ask God?