RE: SCO Linux trying to enforce a Unix patent

Subject: RE: SCO Linux trying to enforce a Unix patent
From: Jan Zumwalt (jwzumwalt@neatinfo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 15:29:56 AKST

This sounds like a company in financial dire straights, think tanking a way
to get their name in the press. It's a fact of patent and copyright law that
a product allowed into public domain forfeits all it's rights. Since SCO
went public with their distro they have lost any and all legal claim they
may ever have wanted in the future.
This is either a media blitz to regain household name recognition (which
would be smart), or incredible legal stupidity (which is probable the real
case). The CEO of SCO is notorious for bad judgment. After all, he was
convicted of Felony sexual misconduct (unsolicited advancements) with a
couple employees.
JZ