Re: VMware on am HP laptop RH8.0

Subject: Re: VMware on am HP laptop RH8.0
From: Mike Baker (mikelbaker@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 18:14:07 AKST

I think that once you install VMWare tools this all kind of works out. At least it has on the systems I've messed with, both desktop and Dell notebooks. Look at the Section on installing VMware tools on a Windows host and Linux 7.3 guest. I think that works. I just got terrible performance though when running X under a VMware Linux Guest. It worked much better the other way around a windows guest on a Linux host. The machine is a Dell Lattitude 1.2 GHz with 1 GB RAM. I dedicated 512 MB RAM to the Linux Guest and the perforamnce was bad. Win2k guest on Linux host with 256MB dedicated to Virtual machine gave acceptable performance on same machine.
 Adam Elkins <i-robot@gci.net> wrote:
A guy at work is trying to but RH 8 on his laptop with VMWare. The VMware
website says to skip the xconfig protion of the install, and also to install
in text mode. Thats fine, but when we tried to configure X after the install,
I used xf86config (I also tried some silly things like xconfig and xsetup,
knowing RH is good about those ovbious utils).
Well, xf86confg only offered options for CRT's....no generic laptop display
options.
So, needless to say, x wont start...
Is there another command that he can use to do this, or a better question, can
he run the setup in the initial install where it will auto detect his
hardware?

Adam

---------
To unsubscribe, send email to