Re: usb 1.1 vs 2.0

Subject: Re: usb 1.1 vs 2.0
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 01:52:31 AKST

My scans were of a portion of a color slide. .91in X .91in X 3200 dpi.

My main issue is that I expected the connection speed to effect the
scanning speed. The scans I attempted were the same slide at the same
resolution on the same scanner with the same software on the same box.
The only change being the usb interface used.

I didn't expect a straight 40x change in scanning speed (the amount of
theoretical bandwidth change), but I did expect a significant increase.
My stopwatch says there is no difference. The 90 to 95 sec times that
you found for a negative implies 2x what I'm getting.

I'll put W98se on a spare drive in the next day or two and see if there
is a difference with SIIG and Epson's windoze drivers. It would be
interesting to try a mobo with usb 2.0 built in as well.

I have run across information in researching this that implies there are
very few devices actually capable of more than 20MB/sec in the real
world and that the chipset used by SIIG (NEC) has a bottleneck at about
28MB/sec, 160Mb/sec and 224Mb/sec respectively. The NEC chipset seems to
be the main one the the linux drivers are centered on.

480Mb/sec - Yeah-Right.

Jim Gribbin