RH 8.0 and Gnome Settings Daemon

Subject: RH 8.0 and Gnome Settings Daemon
From: Doc Rea (rea@docrea.net)
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 03:52:13 AKST

Hey all:

I just upgraded my system from RH 7.3 running a full Evolution package.
Here's an error I get each time:

I get a popup with this message:

"There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon. Some things, such
as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.
The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon
GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in."

I am able to log in okay, but the desktop is blank (no background) and
some apps are disabled.

Anyone run into this. I've been looking online, but the only advice folks
have given so far is "install KDE" Not ready to go that route yet.
Nothing against KDE, but I wanted to try Bluecurve for awhile.

Thanks.