Re: LILO problem

Subject: Re: LILO problem
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 18:17:24 AKST

On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 18:06, Adam Elkins wrote:

> When trying to run 'lilo' or 'Lilo -v' I get an error:
> Can't put the boot sector on logical partition 0x305
>
> btw, my lilo is in MBR, is that why?
>
> Adam

If you run 'lilo' as root it will read the /etc/lilo.conf file and
install per the options listed in the file. Lilo may be installed in the
mbr but lilo.conf seems to be pointing at a logical partition. The
option in lilo.conf that specifies where lilo gets installed is:

# Specifies the boot device. This is where Lilo installs its boot
# block. It can be either a partition, or the raw device, in which
# case it installs in the MBR, and will overwrite the current MBR.
#
boot=/dev/sda

Look at this parameter and see where it points.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.