Re: linux video editing

Subject: Re: linux video editing
From: William Bouterse (bill@bouterse.com)
Date: Wed Dec 25 2002 - 12:50:35 AKST

jennifer gross and jeremy shull wrote:

>Hi guys
> Just wonder has any one ever done video capture in linux
>and if so how well does it work

For straight capture xawtv seems to work the simplest
and most consistantly for many, However for true editing....

Try these;
Sucesses reports would be appreciated.....
You need a "pretty speedy" machine.....

>http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

aka cinelerra... Looks like a very powerful tool and only wish
I knew half of the teminology.....
I am attempting to "make something happen" with this one....

A latter advance of his original bcast2000 which is still being
made in updated rpm format at least by Mandrake;
bcast-2000c-14mdk.rpm
I have gotten this to work "sometimes"

http://www.mainactor.com/

A MainActor demo version is on Mandrake ProSuite
I have gotten this to work a little though it implants
a logo across your picture....

These are all video edit-capture programs for linux I have been itching
to test for sometime but only recently got a machine fast enough to
make it worth while......Of course my being video-illiterate does not help!!
The dual-processor folks on this list would be
welcome to test these out and report back !! :o)

Some of these have such advanced features than it would
probably take a skilled and knowledgeable video-savvy
individual to properly utilize........
I certainly am not one !!!!

William Bouterse
Talkeetna