RE: GRUB problem. Newbie Alert

Subject: RE: GRUB problem. Newbie Alert
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 11:29:23 AKST

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 11:12, John Peck wrote:

> Grub is one of the Linux boot loaders. It is stored in the Master Boot
> Record on the CMOS. Using a win boot floppy, run 'fdisk -mbr' then use
> w2k boot floppies (or CD) to "repair an installation of w2k". This
> should wipe out grub and allow w2k to replace it with its own boot
> loader.
>
> -John

It appears to me that GNU/Linux puts its boot loaders in a different
location in the first sector. Win32 doesn't seem to touch this area
during installs. If you know this will happen you can un-install Linux
boot loaders before re-installing Win32. There is also an option in
Linux fdisk that will write an empty DOS partition table (or Sun), this
will get rid of Linux boot loaders. A Linux boot/rescue cd will have
fdisk on it, I even use an old Redhat 6.2 disk just for the fdisk.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.