Re: File sharing

Subject: Re: File sharing
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 07:30:53 AKST

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 05:41:02 -0900
"Adam Elkins" <i-robot@gci.net> wrote:

> I want to share my mp3/oggs with my wifes xp box. How do I go about
> doing==20
> this? I'm guessing I need to set up samba? (from what I understand
> about=20 smaba, and what it does)=20
> Whats the easiest way to go about this>?
>
> Adam

Samba is probably the "best" way of going about it. It is what I used
to do at home.

However, take a look at gnump3d (http://www.gnump3d.org). It is what
I am using now.

I took my favorite songs off of CDs and made a compilation CD of .ogg
files. Then I set up gnump3d to use the CD as it's home directory.
So now I can listen to my songs either in my office on Linux & XMMS,
or using my wife's Win98 machine using WinAmp. I think it will
accomplish your goal with a lot less fiddling around than Samba will
require. (Although Samba does have other advantages - sharing files &
printers, etc.)

Cheers,

James