Re: DNS Server

Subject: Re: DNS Server
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 20:16:52 AKST

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 04:22:30 -0900
"i_robot" <i-robot@gci.net> wrote:

> Our tac-lan at work needs, or is willing to try, a different DNS
> server. The guy in charge has little knowledge about Linux, but is
> succumbing to my propaganda. Their currently using M$ for their
> webserver and what not. I'm looking for a webserver DNS server
> package....Will Apache do this?
>
> Adam

No, Linux (and Unix in general) is very modular. You'd be hard
pressed to find a web server that also does DNS. However given the
long history of Unix in general and the occasionally very strange open
source software you run across, there just might be one out there
though. :)

You can use Apache for serving web pages, and either Bind or djdns
(tinydns?) for DNS. If you want a package, just install and configure
them on the same server. Watch out for religious wars if you start
asking about the difference between Bind and djdns. Feelings can get
pretty intense on both sides. (I use Bind 9.2.1 myself, but that's
only because it is the first one I tried and it works well enough for
my LAN.)

Cheers,

James