opengl and dri.

Subject: opengl and dri.
From: peter (descartes@bandemax.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 00:53:29 AKST

hey everyone,
i've successfully configured my video card (ati all-in-wonder 7500) to
use opengl. since ati has very little commitment to building linux
drivers for their cards i had to use the dri files to get it running.

that's all well and good but the maximum fps output is crap. glxgears
outputs at 260 fps which is incredibly low. i have agp enabled in my
xf86config. is anyone here familiar with this sort of situation? i've
read website after website until my eyesockets bled looking for an
answer. this includes the dri site, the transgaming site, and various
hits from google searches.

my general system details are as such:
distro - slackware 8.1
video card - ati radeon all-in-wonder 7500 agp with 64 mb of ddr ram
current de - kde 3.0
this might be pertinent, it's from my xf86config -

> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Allinwonder 7500"
> Driver "radeon"
> Option "AGPMode" "1"
>
> #VideoRam 65536
> # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
> EndSection

any help or pointers to useful sites would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

regards,
peter steven house

p.s. i've read about some users have a xf86config-4 file. is this
useful? if so, what purpose does it serve?
p.s.s. thanks again.