Re: SparcStation 10

Subject: Re: SparcStation 10
From: Shortpier (shortpier@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 13:56:38 AKST

I have a sparc server 10 Slowaris is way to slow on em and yes you can dual
boot (but not worth the effort) Mandrake 7.1 runs nice on it.

The problem is the sparc station/server 10 has no internal HD you have to
have the external HD cage and and scsi CDROM for it. Also takes a High end
monitor and a $60 dollar adapter to conect to a non sun monitor (need a
multi freq with weird scan in it). It should have 1 or 2 40 mhz sparc1 CPUS
in it. Mine has dual scsi, dual nics (one is on the scsi card and both Nics
have the same MAC go figure). They make a nice X11 app server and file
space do to the WIDE sparc bus, can handle lots of clients and traffic but
the bus is SLOW (makes a nice NAT firewall box, web server etc) I normal
mount a nfs file system from one of my other boxen for access to larger
files etc as that generation uses a scsi2 (50 pin).

Keyboard and Mouse are standandard sun hardware (any sun keyboard and mouse
willl work) The Mouse plugs into the keyboard and the keyboard into the
box.

This help?

Shortpier
10 mins, Bill Gates, and a Baseball Bat.... Is this to much to ask God?