Job skills

Subject: Job skills
From: Jim Dory (jdory@gci.net)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 14:06:05 AKST

I'm spending a bunch of time learning system administration stuff and
creating a network up here in Nome. My main job function though is as an
engineer tech. Some users are balking at being on a network, and one of
the often heard excuses is that if I get everyone networked, then quit
or something, it leaves them in a lurch.

So I'm curious how many folks wear many hats, as I do. Are there many
networking types out there that also do autocad? Other similar
engineering type skills? I doubt we could hire just a strictly IT guy,
there wouldn't be that much work. And I'm not sure about outsourcing,
but that may be an option. By the way, the city is looking for an actual
engineer or engineer wannabe, as in PE or Civil or such.

Cheers, JD