Re: Club needing new server

Subject: Re: Club needing new server
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 16:26:58 AKST

On 21 Nov 2002, Jim Gribbin wrote:

> Tom Hogland posting that he has a server he's looking at getting rid
> brought up the issue at the Monthly AKLUG meeting last night that the
> club needs a new server. Seems that the current one is a P166 AT with
> the power supply duct taped in.
>
> Whether we get Tom's or another, we need a new(er) one and it will
> probably cost a few bucks. I'm willing to start the ball rolling with
> $100.00. Anybody else willing to pony up a little scratch?

Actually (all power supply mounting issues aside) the server hardware
seems to handle everything quite nicely. I was surprised to see how well
it handled the Red Hat 8.0 release--the load level barely twitched, and we
had maxed out Core's single T1 with about 50 simultaneous ftp sessions.

Also, for the record, the cpu is really a P120, and the power supply is
mounted upside down (in order for the power wires to reach the motherboard
connector), and is secured by a single screw and some duct tape :-)

http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/~tibor/case-in-rack.jpg
http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/~tibor/case-on-bench.jpg

I do agree that it's completely abyssmal. However, the guts of the system
have performed what have been asked of it quite admirably. Not that
faster cpu and more ram wouldn't be great, but the real problem as far as
performance goes is lack of bandwidth. Shortly after I learned that it
was maxing Core's T1, I dropped the number of simultaneous ftp sessions
from 50 down to I think 25, and then shortly after that Core cut our
bandwidth down to 512Kbps at one of the routers.

While we *do* need a new chassis and power supply at a bare minimum, we
really should relocate the box to somewhere with better bandwidth. I
actually wouldn't mind having it here at the Library, but I have no idea
whether they'd let me do that.

Regardless, your offer is absolutely wonderful Tom, and I wholeheartedly
think this is something we should pursue.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax