AGPGART ERRORS and system instability

Subject: AGPGART ERRORS and system instability
From: volz (volz@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 14:28:10 AKST

Hello:

 I have been having problems with the Xserver. We have dual Athlon XP systems w/
nvidia MX440 video cards, running RH8.0 2.4.18 smp kernels. The kernel has been
patched/tweaked to optimize the video card. However I now notice AGPGART errors
in the log and the occasional system crash.

Nov 10 07:10:51 nenana kernel: NVRM: AGPGART: freed 2304 pages
Nov 10 07:10:51 nenana kernel: NVRM: AGPGART: freed 258 pages
Nov 10 08:01:01 nenana kernel: NVRM: AGPGART: allocated 258 pages
Nov 10 08:01:01 nenana kernel: NVRM: AGPGART: allocated 2304 pages
Nov 10 08:11:01 nenana kernel: NVRM: AGPGART: freed 2304 pages

I believe the errors are associated with certain video applications (Tux Racer
and screen savers)

  A suggested fix from nvidia was to append "mem=nopentium" as kernel option for
lilo boot command. This is the first system with which I have used grub as the
boot loader. Should I be able to use the same syntax to send this kernel option
at boot? I have tried it a couple of times. The machine will boot to runlevel 3
but will crash when I start X. This suggests that the boot loader is passing the
option but it is not a fix.

Another suggestion was to force the AGP rate down from the default 4X to 2X. How
do I change the parameter "NVreg_ReqAGPRate=2". the instructions are:

"If you are inserting the module manually:

        insmod NVreg_ReqAGPRate=2 #force AGP Rate to 2x"

I have tried editing /etc/modules.conf. How do I know that I am using modprobe?
and is there anything else I should do to force the AGPRate?

Has anyone else had any similar problems with AGPGART and the nvidia driver/
kernel mod?

Any different ideas on a fix?

Karl Volz

Research Associate